Wednesday, October 5, 2011

learning

Recently my husband and I were in a room filled with people who had been on deployments. We each had the chance to talk about the experiences from active duty/spouse perspective. We never shared rank or job. I really wanted to. As others talked about their hardships it was clear to me that we had it longer or harder. I have a big problem with this from time to time.
After the event my husband and I got real about our issues.

Why do we feel angry when this stuff comes up. Sometimes it doesn't sound fair. Sometimes we want compensated. Sometimes we feel that people just don't get it. We tend to nurse that wound and it keeps us divided from others. God knows what He has called us to do and He has been so faithful in our every need. I know I need to stop comparing.

Matthew 5:3
Blessed is the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed means more than being happy. It is something that is beyond our circumstances. Poor in spirit is the opposite of what I described of myself here. It is not being all about me. It is not downgrading others.

God showed me that there are people in fear and pain and it doesn't matter how they got there. What matters is that He can fix it if we let Him.

Lord,
I pray that you soften my heart to others. I struggle with this sometimes. I know that You are in my situation and that You have a plan. Fill me with a compassion that only comes from You. I ask that You bless all the EOD people and wherever they are running let it be to You. You are bigger than anything we face.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment